Monday, March 6, 2017

CHAPPY DEBBIE'S NEW YEAR MUST READS.....WEEK SEVEN!!!

                               




AUTHORS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Week Seven

*********

INTRODUCING AUTHOR 
LINORE BURKARD 


When I first started reading books by Linore Burkard, she had written her Regency Series. Then when I heard about her PULSE EFFEX series, I just had to read it. It sounded so intriguing. I was not disappointed. Not only am I totally involved in this series and its characters, but I am also trying to be prepared for a potential EMP. We take electricity and all power sources for granted. What if one day, it all just STOPPED? No more cell phones, internet, running water, heat, etc. What if you were miles and miles away from your loved ones, with no way of communicating or getting to them? This series will not only inform you, but it will prepare you...AND IT WILL HAVE YOU ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SEAT! 
I highly recommend this series and all of Linore's books.  

************* 

Bio:

 Linore Rose Burkard wrote a trilogy of regency romances for the Christian market before there were any regencies for the Christian market. Her books opened up the genre in the CBA. She also writes YA Suspense/Apocalyptic fiction as L.R. Burkard. Raised in NYC in a family of ten, she now lives in Ohio with her husband and five children. A longtime home-schooling mom, she still schools her youngest daughter, preferably with coffee in one hand and her iPad in the other. Her latest PULSE EFFEX SERIES takes readers into a "chilling possible future for America."


***************

PULSE EFFEX SERIES


I asked Linore to tell me why she decided to write this series. It has such a powerful message about something that is totally possible. Here is what she had to say:


The PULSE EFFEX Series began when I was researching solar flares for a story idea. My research led me to EMPs, (electromagnetic pulses which can result from a strong solar flare), and then I discovered that it is totally possible for an EMP to wipe out our electric grid—virtually for the whole nation. It could happen in the blink of an eye due to a sun flare—or a terrorist attack. The implications of what life would be like in the aftermath just tugged at my heart. Most people are unaware of the danger, and are unprepared to survive if it ever happens. But NASA and even our Congress agree that it can. So I wrote the first book, PULSE, showing what life might look like. It's entertainment , but with a lot of takeaway for the reader.
What do I mean by "a lot of takeaway for the reader"? Well, the book is saying, "Hey, this could happen, and you need to be ready." The takeaway is that it shows ways to do that, to prepare. I get letters from readers whose lives have been changed. They say, "I've started preparing after reading this book," or, "I've stepped up my preps." There's this perception that preppers are on the fringe, or paranoid. PULSE shows that in reality they are ordinary families like the Martins, whose closet or two of food storage ends up keeping not only their family alive, but other people as well. Readers see the life and death difference a little food storage can make, but also that it is something they can do. I believe that as Christians we are called to be prepared, not only for leaving this earth (by faith in Jesus) but also for earthly needs while we're here. 
************
Linore has written two books in this series, PULSE and RESILIENCE. She is currently working on the third book in the series, DEFIANCE.  Here is what she had to say about the newest installment and the second book:

 I'm roughly halfway through edits of DEFIANCE, but I don’t want to give away the story except to say that it reveals more about the characters, and goes deeper into what can happen in a grid-down world—but with hope.

RESILIENCE, the second book in the series, continues the story of survival for the three girls and their families that began in PULSE, but I was able to bring in a character named Roper. He's a wonderful guy, a youth minister before the pulse, killer handsome, but charming and with a great sense of humor. His specialty is one-liners, the kind a stand-up comic would use. Some of them are groaners, but his humor brought a lighter note into an otherwise dark situation (which continues in the next book, Defiance). He's a love interest for one of the main characters, which was also a way to bring some light into a dark scenario. 
****************
Linore has been nice enough to share a few of her favorite bits of dialogue from the books:

In PULSE, 16 year old Sarah confronts her brother Richard, who has learned about EMPs at college and realizes the deadly implications. She says,
"I can't believe this. It's only been a day without power and everyone's
acting crazy!" Richard plopped down next to me, opening the apple pie he'd
managed to get while McDonald's was being looted.
"That's because everyone knows this is bad."
I still didn't want to believe that. "How do you know for sure? What if the power comes back later today or tomorrow?"
He looked at me sideways, chewing. "It won't."
"How do you know for sure?"
"Because it's not just the electric, Sarah. It's everything. ALL electronics. It's not
just a power outage. It's a catastrophic thing, like I told you, an electromagnetic
pulse. It affected everything that's electronic, and that's why people are freaking
out. When you can't turn on the news, or drive anywhere, or heat your house or
go to a store to buy more food, people WILL panic."
I took a shaky breath. "How long do you think it will last?" My mother came into
the room carrying Jesse. She'd heard my question and looked at my brother,
listening.
Richard was silent a moment, looking down and fiddling with the sturdy paper
wrapper of the pie. "A long time."

From RESILIENCE. I thought I'd let you meet Roper just the way Andrea does. Here's the scene, as they are about to engage with foreign soldiers who are arriving on the property in army trucks.

(Andrea) A man I didn't recognize was already crouched at the window. I'd heard someone new had joined the compound and figured this was him. My bipod was in position by the other window…I glanced at the man, who turned and nodded at me—and about did a double take. This guy was beautiful, possibly the best looking guy I'd ever seen in my life! He had thick, golden-brown curls that reached his shoulder, mesmerizing blue eyes, and a rough-shaven chin, probably the beginnings of a beard. He gave me an encouraging little smile but I was too astonished, taking in his good looks, to return it. So this was the new guy!


Stay tuned for Book Three in the PULSE EFFEX SERIES, Defiance, coming in May 2017!

***************

When asked what accomplishment means the most to her, Linore said:

What I'm proudest of seems to change as life goes on. At one time, it was graduating magna cum laude from CUNY (City University of New York). Then, like any author, I'm proud of my books; but what means the most to me is my marriage and family. The Lord graciously gave me a wonderful husband and five children. Relationships are the most rewarding thing there is. Books will perish, all man-made things will one day be consumed, but people are eternal, and nothing matters more than eternal beings. People are what God cares about most, and what he calls us to care most about.  



*************

Here are the books, their descriptions and where you can purchase them. I highly recommend this series. It's not only EXCITING, but it has a very powerful and VERY POSSIBLE message.


BOOK ONE
PULSE



Book Description:

What do you do when the whole world stops? Andrea, Lexie and Sarah are just ordinary teens--until a mysterious event shuts down the entire electric grid. In the dead of winter, there's no heating systems, no internet, no cell phones, not even a stinking working car. In this chilling Christian YA tale, most of the population doesn't survive. Pitting faith and grit against a world without power, the girls and their families must beat the odds. But can they find the strength to survive when society collapses and technology fails?

You can buy your copy HERE.


*****************

BOOK TWO
RESILIENCE



Book Description:

In this action-packed sequel to PULSE, L.R. Burkard takes readers into a hair-raising landscape where teens shoulder rifles instead of school books, and where survival might mean becoming your own worst enemy. Now that an EMP has sent the United States into a Dark Age, Andrea, Lexie and Sarah have more to worry about than the mere loss of technology. Threats of marauders and rumors of foreign soldiers mean no one can let down their guard. The appearance of FEMA camps might be reassuring--except military outfits seem determined to force people into them. Is the US government also a threat? Andrea and her family have joined the Martin farmstead, which is now a compound of survivors working together to get by. Lexie longs for the day when she and Blake can get married and have a family--that is, if they live long enough. Sarah and Richard hope to reach Aunt Susan's in Indiana. But what will it take to get there in one piece? With evil threatening on every side, can the U.S. recover before everyone--and everything--is destroyed?

You can buy your copy HERE.

****************

BOOK THREE
DEFIANCE


Book Description:

When an EMP struck the U.S. and rendered all electronics instantly useless, Andrea, Lexie and Sarah's lives changed forever. Their struggle for survival revealed surprising hidden strengths--but also weaknesses. Now, banded with other survivors, they hope for a temporary haven. But with no rule of law, and surrounded by foreign invaders and fellow Americans gone rogue, no one is safe.

Andrea is determined to marry Roper—but first he must return alive! Lexie wants to marry boyfriend Blake, the brilliant, handsome science-geek, but a terrible accident threatens her hopes. Sarah would rather hide than fight—if only peaceful resistance was enough! 

Pushed to survive, resistance and will power must give way to DEFIANCE. But do the girls and the other survivors have what it takes to defeat the enemies who want them dead?

You can PRE-ORDER your copy HERE.



*****************
GIVEAWAY!!!!

Linore has graciously offered a print copy of RESILIENCE to a US reader, or an ebook copy of either PULSE or RESILIENCE to a reader who leaves a comment. NOTE: The drawing will only happen if there are 10 or more comments, so please share this post. If you do share, let me know and you will get an extra entry into the drawing...once the initial TEN comments happen. Please leave an email address, so I can contact you if you win.

****************

I wish to thank Linore for allowing me to feature her on my blog. 


**************

More of  Linore's books and a link to her Amazon.com pages:




                            



******************
       CHECK OUT  ALL OF LINORE'S BOOKS ON HER  AMAZON PAGES.

AND


(Make sure you follow her Amazon pages, to get the latest updates on her books.)

AND YOU CAN ALSO FIND LINORE  HERE: 

Connect with readers: Linore loves staying in touch with readers and offers a newsletter with book drawings, free PDFs, contests, illustrations and short articles. To keep up with Linore, get on the mailing list at either of her websites: http://www.LinoreBurkard.com, or http://www.LRBurkard.com
New subscribers get free PDFs upon sign up.  

 Over on Linore's (LRBurkard) page, she has a great RESOURCE page. Check it out HERE. You never know if or when an EMP or any natural disaster could happen. 

DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A COMMENT, TO BE ENTERED IN THE DRAWING! WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON MONDAY, MARCH 20th!



**********
LAST WEEK'S WINNER:




CONGRATULATIONS TO CARYL MCADOO FER WINNIN' MICHELLE GRIEP'S BRENTWOOD'S WARD. MICHELLE WILL BE CONTACTIN' YE SOON.


**************


Thanks fer coming aboard! God bless.

35 comments:

  1. Ooh, I have been eyeballing this series! It sounds so good. I need to put it in my TBR pile. :) Thanks for sharing, Chappy! lattebooksAThotmailDOTcom
    Congrats, Caryl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fer comin' aboard, Susan!This series is FANTASTIC! Ye be in the drawin'. Come back and tell me that ye shared and ye can have another entry!

      Delete
    2. I've shared it! https://www.facebook.com/susan.marie.7798574/posts/2223115041247031

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good series! I am adding them to my TBR list on Goodreads. I have shared the post on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy LuAnn! Thanks fer comin' aboard! Ye have 2 entries, once I get 10 comments! Thanks fer sharin'! Can ye give me yer email address, in case ye win?

      Delete
    2. lkoehl91 at gmail dot com.

      Delete
  3. I shared the post on FB, matey! Have a blessed day! Congratulations, Caryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Lucy! Thanks fer sharin', Matey! Ye be havin' 2 entries, once I be gettin' 10 comments!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome series would love to read them!!! :D ayeseabee12 (at) gmail (dot) com
    (By the way I've read Before the Season Ends and I LOVED IT!!! :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Anna! Thanks fer comin' aboard! I think you will really like this series as well. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an exciting read! Thanks for introducing us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fer comin' aboard, Danielle! It is a very exciting read! Good luck!

      Delete
  7. sounds like a great series! Shelia Hall sheliarha64(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fer comin' aboard, Shelia! Ye be in the drawing!

      Delete
  8. AHOY, Chappy! Sounds like a fascinating series. Thank you so much for these author recommendations!

    psalm103 and 138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye be welcome, Matey. This is a really great series. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Sounds absolutely fascinating! Definitely want to read this series. :) Added to my long Wish List!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fantastic series, Noela! Definitely a winner! Ye be in the drawin'! Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a series that Linda will read , so if I win I will donate to her. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good series...and a real possibility, which makes it more intriguing. You have two entries, because you shared! Good luck!

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard about this series before, but I generally like apocalyptic stories that have some basis in reality--Oh, let's be honest, I often like the completely far fetched ones too. There is something deeply interesting in visiting the reactions of humankind in the face of disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks fer the laugh, Matey! This series will not disappoint ye!

      Delete
  12. I just started receiving her newsletters and would be thrilled to win one of her books ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard, Christine! Linore's newsletters are always so full of wonderful treasure! Ye be in the drawin'! Good luck.

      Delete
  13. AHOY CHAPPY! I shared the giveaway on Google+ and tagged you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw yer shares, Caryl! Ye be havin' 2 entries, Matey!

      Delete
  14. Need that book for my prepper box; don't have e-reader will be useless during "those times". ;)

    FAIRYnForest@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there will be no electricity when/if it happens. Ye be in the drawing!

      Delete
  15. I like the unique plot for this series. Would love to be entered in the drawing. Thank you! cherierj (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Cherie! Thanks fer comin' aboard, Matey! Ye be in the drawin'! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Waiting patiently for the third book! :) Thanks so much for the chance!

      kdanisk(at)yahoo(dot)com

      Delete
    3. Ahoy Matey! Thanks fer comin' aboard! Good luck!

      Delete