Saturday, October 1, 2016


Ship's Log

September 17-September 30th



              Ahoy Mateys! Welcome aboard, find yerself a nice spot on the deck and enjoy.


                    ********************************



BOOKS

THE CAPTIVE HEART by Michelle Griep
RELEASES TODAY!!!!



This past week, I had the pleasure of reading/reviewing The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep. I cannot tell you how much I LOVED this book. Seriously, if I did tell you, there would be so many spoiler alerts....the entire book is riveting, compelling, adventurous....and that's just a few of the words that I would use to describe it. 
Here is my review:

Absolutely Outstanding!

Seriously, I hate that I can only give this book 5 stars. It was MY heart that was held captive by this tale of never-ending excitement. Michelle Griep has gone above and beyond with this story and my only question is “How is she going to top this one?”
This is a saga, a tale that weaves in and out, keeping you on your virtual toes.
Samuel and Eleanor are a part of me now......their story will live on in my imagination.
The back cover of this book doesn't nearly come close enough to describing the amazing adventure awaiting you. I never go into detail about stories I've read, as not to spoil anything for other readers. I will simply say that once you have entered this tale, be prepared to stay, because you will never want to leave.
Note to Michelle: You really got me with this one! When there was only about 5 chapters left to read, I literally put the book down for an entire day....I did not want the story to end! Then, I read the last 5 chapters veeerrryyy slowly. It was sooo good! If ever a book needed to be turned into a movie, this is it! Thanks for the wonderful adventure!

I was given a copy of this book by Barbour Publishing and the author in return for my honest opinion. I was under no obligation to give a positive review.  

***********
As you can tell from my review, I do love this story. And I know that you will love it too. 

***********

Here is the synopsis of The Captive Heart (from Amazon):

Proper English governess Eleanor Morgan flees to the colonies to escape the wrath of a brute of an employer. When the Charles Town family she’s to work for never arrives to collect her from the dock, she is forced to settle for the only reputable choice remaining to her—marriage to a man she’s never met. Trapper and tracker Samuel Heath is a hardened survivor used to getting his own way by brain or by brawn, and he’s determined to find a mother for his young daughter. But finding a wife proves to be impossible. No upstanding woman wants to marry a murderer.

And here is the back cover (click on picture to enlarge) :


GET YOUR COPY OF THIS FANTASTIC BOOK HERE.

**************


 I hear voices. Loud. Incessant. And very real. Which basically gives me two options: choke back massive amounts of Prozac or write fiction. I've been writing since I discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. I seek to glorify God in all that I write--except for that graffiti phase I went through as teenager.

****************

The Captive Heart is Michelle's 8th book and far from her last....she is currently working on several projects, including the Once Upon a Dickens Christmas series. 
I encourage you to go over to her Amazon page and check out all of her books. HERE

(CHECK OUT THE GIVEAWAY SECTION BELOW FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A PAPERBACK COPY OF THE CAPTIVE HEART)

****************

Michelle has another book that was just released that she co-wrote with author Kelly Klepfer titled Out of the Frying Pan....it sounds hilarious. Here is the synopsis (from Amazon):

When the chef of Sunset Paradise Retirement Village ends up dead, life for sisters Fern and Zula Hopkins is whipped into a froth. Their zany attempts to track down the killer land them in hot water with Detective Jared Flynn. Should he be concerned about their safety or the criminal's? 

But there are deadly ingredients none of them expect. Drugs. Extortion. International cartels. And worst of all...broken hearts--especially when the Hopkins sisters' niece KC arrives on the scene. 

Before the snooping pair gain any headway with the case, it becomes crystal clear that the sisters share a mysterious secret that takes life from the frying pan and into the line of fire.


Here are the front and back covers (click on images to enlarge):



You can buy your copy HERE.

*************************



MOVIES & TV



This past week the Butler and I watched The Finest Hours on Netflix. The screenshots and the trailer totally intrigued us. I would give this movie a 4.5 out of 5 stars.....only because it starts out a bit slow. But, boy once the action kicks in, hang on to something and don't be surprised if you find yourself holding your breath at times. It is based on a true story, which adds to the excitement of not knowing what will happen. I highly recommend this movie to those who enjoy rescue-on-the-water movies. 

Here is the synopsis (from IMDb):

The Coast Guard makes a daring rescue attempt off the coast of Cape Cod after a pair of oil tankers are destroyed during a blizzard in 1952.

Check out this movie, the trailer and its actors HERE.

*************

NEWS WORTH SHARING

This week I wish to impress upon you the importance of your children's safety. If you have children in the public school system, I implore you to read this. Your children's souls are at stake.

Satanic Club Coming to Portland Elementary School


A satanic club will now be an option for students at a Portland, Oregon, elementary school.
On Tuesday, the Parkrose School District formally approved Satanic Portland's petition to launch a club at Sacramento Elementary School.
The Satanic Temple has been targeting schools with Good News Clubs, which are sponsored by the Child Evangelism Fellowship, an organization whose purpose is to "evangelize boys and girls with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ."
One of the leaders of the Satanic Temple said their program focuses "on science and rational thinking," and will promote "benevolence and empathy for everybody."
Oregon will be the first state in the United States to approve satanic after school programs in public schools.
The national Satanic Temple's After School Satan Clubs (ASSC) program has also been proposed for schools in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Tucson, Washington, D.C., as well as Springfield, Missouri, and Pensacola, Florida.
THIS IS REAL AND IT IS HAPPENING HERE IN THE UNITED STATES. BE AWARE OF YOUR CHILDREN'S AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS. 
********************
BLOGS TO SHARE
Writer Off The Leash

About Writer Off The Leash

I’m a writer. It says so on my business card. Writer off the Leash is a real-time log of what goes on in an author's head. 

If there’s a writerly topic you’d like discussed on Writer Off the Leash, give me a holler at michellegriep@gmaildotcom.



Other places I can be found:

Michelle Griep's blog is great. With her writerly wisdom and wonderful wit, she puts out a very interesting and entertaining post every weekday.  Head over and check it out HERE.

************************

SHIP'S GALLEY


Ingredients
  • 1 box of Spice Cake
  • 1 Can of Pumpkin
  • 1 Can of Chocolate Chips
  • Optional
  • 1 Cup of Brown Sugar

Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl mix the pumpkin and the cake mix.
  2. Add the chocolate chips and mix again.
  3. Place the dough on a baking sheet.
  4. You can add some brown sugar to the top of each cookie.
  5. Bake them at 350F for 7 to 8 minutes.

ENJOY!

*************

GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!!!

Chappy was blessed with two copies of The Captive Heart, so I am going to give one copy away. I will be keepin' me signed copy from Michelle and will be givin' away the copy that was sent to me by Barbour Publishing. So, if ye wish to be entered into the drawin', simply let me know in the comments below. I would appreciate ye leavin' yer email address, so I can contact ye if I pick yer name. US residents only...sorry. I will announce the winner in next week's blogpost. 

**************

WINNER!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO  DEBRA FER WINNIN' ME TREASURE! YE BE WINNIN' A COPY OF SHE WALKS IN POWER BY MARYLU TYNDALL (PB OR EBOOK, YER CHOICE), THE BOOKMARK, KEYCHAIN, DOLL AND EXPLODIN' PICTURE BOX. 

THANKS TO THOSE WHO ENTERED TO WIN ME TREASURE. MAKE SURE AND COMMENT BELOW AND THEN COME BACK ABOARD NEXT WEEK TO SEE WHO BE WINNIN' THE CAPTIVE HEART BY MICHELLE GRIEP.

******************

Thanks fer comin' aboard. God bless.





  

11 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Thank you! I am super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win The Captive Heart. Thank you for the chance my Mattie. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Lucy! The Captive Heart is such a wonderful read. Ye be in the drawin'!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Aww shucks, captain. I'm grateful for the mention and glad you enjoyed my story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Michelle! Thanks fer comin' aboard! Enjoyed is an understatement, Matey. I loved it!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a mighty fine treasure in that book! Count me in, if ye please. LattebooksAThotmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Susan! Yes, this book is a treasure, indeed! Ye be in the drawin'. Thanks fer comin' aboard, Matey!

      Delete
  5. AHOY Chappy! I love Michelle's stories. Thank you for the chance to win a copy of The Captive Heart!

    psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahoy Caryl! Welcome aboard, Matey! Ye be in the drawin'! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete