Saturday, October 29, 2016

CHAPPY DEBBIE'S WEEK-IN-REVIEW



Ship's Log

October 22nd thru October 28th



              Ahoy Mateys! Welcome aboard, find yerself a nice spot on the deck and enjoy.


                                                ********************************


BOOKS


Slender Reeds
Jochebed's Hope
by Texie Susan Gregory


This past week I had the pleasure of discovering a new-to-me author. I agreed to read/review Slender Reeds for Barbour Publishing. 
Everyone knows the story of Moses. This story elaborates on the events before he was born....with his mother and what his people had to endure. This was a good story and I am going to give the book away to one commenter from this post.....see giveaway section below for details.



Faith and Hope

I've read the story of Moses many times. Slender Reeds really brings it to life. It's a story of trust and faith during a time of terrible heartbreak.
I applaud Texie Susan Gregory for her ability to put a face on the secondary characters of this Biblical story.
I look forward to reading more books by this author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing in exchange for my honest review.


***********************


(From Amazon)


Trapped beneath 400 years of Egypt’s injustices, the Hebrew people await deliverance from generations of Egyptian slavery. But while it is still dark, God is at work. Young Jochebed is unaware the Master Weaver is preparing her to mother three formidable leaders: Miriam, Aaron, and Moses. Shiphrah, the half-Egyptian midwife tasked to kill Hebrew male newborns, remembers childhood stories of a merciful God and cannot resist His call on her life.
Two women, each following the dangerous path God has set before them—this is their story.

(Back cover)


(You can get your copy HERE)

*********************

Born and bred in beautiful North Carolina, I grew up hearing the Bible stories and wishing I knew more about each person's life. What happened before? What happened next? Unable to find these stories, I began to write my own books and dream of writing professionally.

True story: As a 6th grader, I turned in a book report on my own book - written under a nom de plume!

I hold a BS in Early Childhood Education, an MA in School Counseling and an MA in Religious Education. I've worked in theatre, as a hospital chaplain intern and as a teacher in both public and private schools. 
As a pastor's wife, I've served as a lay counselor, written/directed dramas for worship services and co-taught marriage seminars.
My most challenging and rewarding life work has been (is) mothering our two children.

Please visit me at www.texiesusangregory.com or Facebook Texie Susan Gregory

(Check out Texie Susan Gregory's Amazon page HERE)


***********************

(CHECK OUT THE GIVEAWAY SECTION BELOW FOR THE CHANCE TO WIN MY PAPERBACK COPY OF SLENDER REEDS)

***********************



MOVIES & TV


The Butler and I love the original MacGyver series and we were excited to here about this remake. Despite what some people say...including the original actor Richard Dean Anderson...this is a really good show. The original series was exciting and fun and this remake is simply an updated version. It's a younger Mac and a much tougher Jack Dalton (I love this character). I am hoping that Richard Dean Anderson has a change of heart, because I would love to see him do a special appearance on the show. It's on Friday nights, 8pm (PT) on CBS. 

(Read more about this show HERE)


*******************

NEWS WORTH SHARING


I AM GIVING YOU A HEADS UP ON A BLOG THAT I WILL BE GUESTING ON SOON. THE BLOG IS STITCHES THRU TIME AND I WILL BE SHARING HOW I CREATE MY EXPLODING PICTURE BOXES. SO IF YOU'VE EVER WONDERED HOW THEY ARE MADE, STAY TUNED AND I WILL GIVE THE EXACT DATE THAT I WILL BE ON THE BLOG. 



**********************
BLOGS TO SHARE

Chappy didn't come across any new blogs this past week. I'd love for you to share a blog that you like with me....maybe I will feature it here.

*******************


SHIP'S GALLEY

                                 This is my idea of a Fall Pumpkin......looks really yummy.


Easy Pumpkin Pie Bites
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24
All the flavors of Homemade Pumpkin Pie packed into perfect portable fall dessert – Easy Pumpkin Pie Bites….
Ingredients
  • Homemade All Butter Pie Crust or 2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
  • 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs + 1 egg for egg wash
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • Whipped cream

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray) a mini-muffin pan. Set aside.
  3. Roll the dough or pie crust out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
  4. Using a round cookie or biscuit cutter (approximately 3 inches diameter) cut at least 24 rounds out ( or 12 rounds of each pie crust, if using store bought)
  5. Carefully press each round into the mini-muffin pan. Use your fingers to round the ends into a pie crust.
  6. Brush egg wash from one egg to the top edges of each pie.
  7. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating each until combined.
  8. Add pumpkin puree and beat to combine. Stir in vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.
  9. Spoon mixture into each mini pie crust almost up to the top.
  10. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
  11. Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack, or chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  12. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with more pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon on top and before serving. Keep refrigerated.
  13. * Pies will be puffy when they come out of the oven, but will sink back down when cooled.

*******************

GIVEAWAY!!!!

Chappy is givin' away her paperback copy of Slender Reeds to a commenter on this post. Just let me know below if ye wish to be entered into the drawin'. Remember, if ye know of a great blog, let me know about it as well. Because of postage costs I have to limit this to US residents only...sorry Mateys. Winner will be announced on me next post. 


**********************


Thanks fer comin' aboard! God bless.











8 comments:

  1. The cover of the book looks good. I would like to win it. Those pumpkin pie bites look delicious! I might make them sometime. Thanks for the chance to win. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Debra! Thanks fer comin' aboard! Yer in the drawin'!

      Delete
  2. Ahoy, Chappy! I think this sounds very interesting and I like the cover. Have a blessed evening and thank you for the chance.
    leliamae54(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Lucy! It's very interesting, indeed. Yer in the drawin', Matey!

      Delete
  3. Ahoy Chappy! Lovely cover, Slender Reeds sounds very interesting. Texie Susan Gregory is a new-to-me author too.
    Thanks for a chance to win a copy.
    Blessings, Tina
    KINGsDaughter5683 (at) gmail (.) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahoy Tina! I think you will enjoy this author. Good luck in the drawin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHOY CHAPPY! I enjoy Biblical fiction. Slender Reeds sounds wonderful. Thank you for the chance.
    psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Caryl! Thanks fer comin' aboard, Matey! Ye be in the drawin'! Good luck!

      Delete