Saturday, June 4, 2016

CHAPPY DEBBIE'S WEEK-IN-REVIEW!


SHIP'S LOG

                 What I spied from the deck of me ship
                           May 28th-June 3rd


Ahoy Mateys! Welcome aboard, find yerself a nice spot on the deck and enjoy.


                    ********************************


                                   BOOKS:

                      Author Eileen Hinkle Rife


Once again, I am introducing books by Eileen Rife. This week's blogpost has a theme and that theme is SERENITY....finding that peace inside. Going along with that theme, I want to tell you about two great books that Eileen has written....Tranquil Moments and Breathe Deeply God's Grace.

                          TRANQUIL MOMENTS


About the book:

Are you struggling for inner peace and purpose? Is your devotional life stale and stagnant? Do you long for refreshment from the Living Water? If so, then this book is for you. Pour a cool, refreshing glass of your favorite beverage, pull up a comfy chair, put your feet up, and enjoy Tranquil Moments: Spiritual Refreshment from the Island of Maui. Thirty-one devotionals, one for each day of the month, take you on a spiritual journey. View God's promise in a rainbow spreading across a Maui mountaintop, His peace in a cascading waterfall and His faithfulness in a colorful sunrise. Savor a tranquil moment as the God of the universe fills you up with His never-ending love, peace, and purpose. Eileen Rife is a home educator, writer, and speaker. She has co-authored two books with her husband, Chuck: Marriage with an Attitude, and When Mourning Comes: Living Through Loss. She resides in Roanoke, Virginia with her husband, daughter, and two felines, all of whom add tranquil moments to her day.


My Review:

Looking for peace and tranquility? Look no further. Eileen has compiled 31 days worth of devotions that will give you a break from your every day life. Eileen has a way of writing that truly puts a smile on your face. I can actually hear her voice as I read this book.
These devotions make you think and at times makes you laugh. Definitely makes you want to go to Maui!
You will find thought provoking devotions that will bring you closer to God.
Step into paradise and let God’s peace wash over you.


Get your copy today.....HERE

                     

BREATHE DEEPLY
GOD'S GRACE


About the book:


Breathing is fundamental to our survival, yet how many of us walk around practicing shallow breathing and don’t even know it? As vital as breathing is to our physical well-being, spiritual breathing is even more important. But often we practice shallow breathing in this area of our lives, too. With more focus, we can learn to breathe deeply God’s life-giving and life-sustaining grace each day. Breathe Deeply God's Grace, a devotional spanning from Genesis to Revelation, can help you reflect on God’s Word, receive His grace, and then release it to those around you.


My Review:

Eileen Rife never disappoints me with her books and this devotional has got to be one of my favorites. Breathe Deeply God's Grace is filled with encouraging and uplifting devotions that will help you to start your day off with a smile and a purpose. I've had the privilege of seeing Eileen read some of these devotions on a video she posted on her blog and I was WAITING patiently for her to put them in a book. As I read the devotions, I can “hear” Eileen's calm, soothing voice....and I appreciate the effort and time that she put into this gem. I highly recommend this devotional to everyone who simply wants to BREATHE DEEPLY GOD'S GRACE!


Get your copy  HERE


Eileen has written several wonderful books. You can check them all out and learn all about her....HERE


                *************************************



MOVIES & TV





Since this blogpost is focused on SERENITY, I figured I would share about a tv series that I enjoy....FIREFLY. (not a religious show)
This show only lasted one season, but what a season! They made a movie after being cancelled, to wrap the stories up. I love all things "Star Trekkie"...which to me means any show dealing with futuristic worlds and spacecrafts. I love the adventure of it all and the cool ships. In FIREFLY there is a spacecraft called SERENITY (thus the tie-in) and it's one awesome ship! 
This show takes place 500 years in the future and combines space and a western theme....think space cowboys, with futuristic weapons. It's about a group of 'very different' people traveling the 'verse together....they have many adventures. In my opinion, this is an "adult" tv show. There is a lot of mild innuendo, although any swearing is done in Chinese. 
There is a character on FIREFLY named Jayne....he is hilarious. Here is one of my favorite memes featuring Jayne and a picture of him wearing a hat that his mama made for him..too funny:


I enjoy papercrafting, so awhile ago I made my son-in-law a tiny (fits in the palm of your hand) version of SERENITY. Recently, while re-watching the FIREFLY series, I decided that I wanted my own papercraft of SERENITY. But, I wanted a larger version. I thought I'd share pictures of me and my son-in-law's ships. Enjoy.


MY SERENITY SHIP



MY SON-IN-LAW'S SERENITY SHIP


You can learn more about the tv show FIREFLY  HERE 


You can learn more about the movie SERENITY   HERE



***********************************



NEWS:

              

News from Redding, Ca. 
Presidential candidates were here rallying for support. Bernie Sanders and Bill Clinton were in Chico, CA and Donald Trump was here in Redding. I am not rallying behind any of these people, but it's nice to know that they consider our towns important....important enough to add to their schedules. 
Our local news station aired Trump's rally live, so we were able to listen to him without having to go out in the terrible heat. I know of one lady that had to have medical help during Trump's speech, because of the heat. 
Donald did a nice thing....he stopped talking while the medics took care of the lady and then he took the time to compliment our local medics and police officers. (Later, it was said that 50+ were treated for heat related issues) Over 3,000 attended the rally.
After hearing him, I can honestly say that I still have the same views about him....which I will keep to myself. I will definitely be praying a lot during this election....



**************************************


BLOGS:



This week I am sharing a blog that I found called SINGING LIBRARIAN BOOKS....It has a lot to offer, including blogs for adults, teens and youths.

About the site:

Hello.  My name is Sydney Anderson.  In December 2014 I graduated from the Emporia State University online/weekend-intensive MLS graduate program and am part of the SLIM9 Orem, Utah, cohort.  My area of emphasis is Librarianship for Children and Young Adults.  I have previous experience working in both academic and public libraries.  One of my favorite jobs at the public library was providing story time for children.  Due to my love of books and reading I decided to start a site where I can share reviews of books I have been reading.  If you are ever in need of a good book to read, adult, teen, or youth alike, my site is the place to look.  Due to relocating to a new state, I am currently volunteering at a local library within a larger library system in hopes of eventually obtaining a position in youth services.  When I am not studying or working, I enjoy spending time outdoors, singing, reading, and hanging out with my husband and our families.

HEAD OVER AND CHECK IT OUT   HERE


**********************************



SHIP'S GALLEY:

What better recipe to share during my SERENITY blogpost than this delicious-looking cake!

STRAWBERRY DREAM CAKE

Serves 12-18
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cool time 6 Hours 30 minutes
Ready in 7 hours
Ingredients:
White cake mix and required ingredients (eggs, oil, water, etc.)
1- 8 oz Neufchatel cheese or cream cheese
1 Large box of Strawberry Danish Dessert
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (Mexican is the best)
2 Containers or boxes of frozen strawberries cut and stored with sugar
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Even though it does take a little time to make, I guarantee that if you give it a try you’ll be making it again!
A lot of the time is cool time so it is great to start the day before or in the morning (at least 7 hours before a party).
First, make the white cake mix as directed on the box. Spray a large cake pan with cooking spray and then use about 2-3 Tablespoons of any kind of flour. Tap the flour around on the pan until the bottom and sides are thoroughly yet lightly coated.
Cook cake. Watch the cake very closely and try not to over cook it. This ensures it will be nice and moist. I set the timer about 8 minutes before the cake box says it should be done and check on it often then I remove it as soon as a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
As the cake is cooking I prepare the ‘Dream Mixture’. The most important part is tomake sure the cream cheese is room temperature and very soft. I cut it into a few pieces and microwave it for a 20 seconds. Then put it in the mixer or use a hand mixer and cream it until its smooth (this prevents it from clumping) in the mixture.
Next, add the whipping cream, vanilla, and powder sugar to the cream cheese. Mix at LOW speed for 5 minutes, then mix at medium-high speed for 3 minutes. The mixture/frosting should now form soft peaks.
Cool cake completely (I usually put it in the fridge or freezer).
Next, run a knife along the edges to make room for the Dream mixture. Then frost the cake with the Dream mixture and run the knife along the edges a few times so the dream mixture can get down into the edges of the cake. If desired you can also take the cake out of the pan and put it on a cookie sheet before frosting it.
Cool the cake i the fridge for 2 hours and let the dream mixture set. About 30 minutes before the cake is done cooling I move on to the last step.
Cook the Danish Dessert in a medium sauce pan by doing the following. Start with 1 3/4 Cup cold water in a sauce pan and pour in Danish Dessert. Begin stirring, turn the heat on to high and stir until it comes to a full boil. Boil and stir continuously for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir until its warm (or not hot). Next stir in the thawed strawberries.
Put the cake pan on a cookie sheet (because the mixture will most likely go over the sides of the cake pan). Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the cake. Use a knife or fork to pull the cake from the edge of the pan and allow strawberry topping to sink down the sides of the cake. Refrigerate for four hours.
Enjoy!
*********************************



GIVEAWAY!!!!!!



Keeping with the SERENITY theme, I have a prize package for one of my commenters. If you want to be in the drawing to win this Adult Coloring Book Package, just leave a comment about how you find SERENITY in your life with your email below. Please leave your email, so that I can contact you if you win. US residents only...sorry. I will announce the winner on my next blogpost, in a week.




************************************

NO WINNER SECTION THIS WEEK


Come back next week, Mateys, to see who wins the Adult Coloring Book pachage!


God bless.



10 comments:

  1. I find serenity in crocheting amigurumis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Matey! Ye be the best crocheter Chappy knows! Thanks fer comin' aboard!

      Delete
  2. Just Love the Blog this week, Here I would have thought you watched the movies because Castle was in them. lol The books look interesting I do seem to like the pirate theme novels. Your dessert this week looks so yummy. And it's funny how you ask how we find serenity, seeing coloring is my best release from work, daily problems my pain in my feet, God and coloring is my only serenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Norma! Thanks fer comin' aboard! I do like the fact that Nathan Fillion is in FIREFLY, but Jayne and Wash (the pilot) are my favorite characters. The books I shared on this blog are devotionals, not novels and they are really good. Yep, coloring is how I find SERENITY, too, along with papercrafting. Praying that your feet heal quickly and that the pain becomes tolerable or goes away completely.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I would try the papercrafting but my printer is for work only as one keeps telling me.

      Delete
  3. I find serenity by sitting on my deck listening to the birds and looking at the mountains. Thank you, Chappy. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Lucy! Thanks fer comin' aboard! Yer deck sounds pretty serene! I wish I lived where I could sit outside and look at mountains. It be way too hot here to sit outside and there are only houses to look at. Ye have a blessed day, too.

      Delete
  4. I find serenity in music and perler beading. debradawn777@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Debra! Ye be very good at perler beadin', says I. Thanks fer comin' aboard!

      Delete